The Asia Culture Center (ACC) has carried out the Asia Dance Community Project since 2010 in order to vitalize the Asia dance networks, develop creative dance content, and construct repertoires on the basis of mid-and long-term perspectives through establishing networks among the governments and dancers in Asia. The Choreography LAB Program is a work incubation project that aims to promote to widen the creative and artistic views of the participants and provide a round of exchange and harmony among Asian dancers. It now calls for new choreographers who are able to create and produce a creative work that can propose the contemporary Asian perspective and value discourses. We
look forward to a great deal of interests and participation.
1. Program Information
ㅇ Title: 2020 ACC Asia Dance Community Choreographer LAB
ㅇ Details of the Program
- Provision of production support fee for the works for a selected choreographer
- Showcase of the project result through planning, research, development and production during the three-month of
- Workshops, mentoring and the exchange of networking programs
ㅇ Schedule of the Program
- Residency duration: July to September, 2020 (three months)
- Showcase of the project results: September 26(Sat.), 2020 / ACC
2. Overview of the Open Call
ㅇ Areas: A new production of contemporary dance (modern dance)
ㅇ Target: Asian choreographer with the experiences in the field of traditional and contemporary dance activities
ㅇ Number of recruitment: less than 10 (individual)
- A choreographer who has the experiences of choreographing three works or more (Around 20 minutes per work)
- A choreographer who is able to do research work and produce the showcase during the three-month residency
- Capability of English Communication
ㅇ Hosted/Organized by: the Asia Culture Center and Asia Culture Institute
ㅇ Venue: Asia Culture Center 38 Munhwajeondang-ro, Dong-gu, Gwangju Metropolitan City, Republic of Korea
3.Support and Responsibilities
- Production support fee: Max. KRW 8,000,000 (including withholding tax) per project
※ This amount should include all expenses for production and showcase including living expense, basic activities
expense, personnel/collaborator expenses, equipment lease expenses, materials expenses, etc.
※ It will be paid in two installments, after the approval of the project implementation plan and after the approval of
the final showcase.
- Accommodation: Provision of the ACC Asia Creative Studio only for those who are non-residents of Gwangju
- Transportation: One roundtrip airfare (only for participants from abroad, between Korea and participant’s residing
city) and one roundtrip domestic travel
- Workspace: Dance studio and research room in the ACC (communal space)
- Technical support: Stage lighting, acoustic equipment (limited on certain sites) and operating personnel
ㅇ Responsibilities of participants
- Staying in Gwangju at least for 12 days every month and perform the project using the space of ACC
- Showcase of the project results
- Submission of project final report
- Proactive participation of the ACC Residency (ACC_R) program.
- To get the issuance of resident visa in Korea and the travelers insurance for participation of the Residency program
with the participant’s own expense.
4. Screening and Schedule
ㅇ The 1st round document screening: April 17-21, 2020
ㅇ The 2nd round interview through Skype: April 22-24, 2020 ※Only those who have passed the 1st round
ㅇ Announcement of the final selection: fourth week of April, 2020 (in the website and with the separate notice
※ Schedule is subject to change in accordance with the circumstances of the ACC
※ In case the selected applicant fails to reply to the acceptance email within 5 days, the opportunity will be passed
to the next candidate.
ㅇ One application including project proposal (in the attached form)
ㅇ One portfolio (all forms including doc, PPT, video, URL, etc., and the video link is a requisite)
ㅇ Reference Letter
※ Video should be submitted with YouTube or Vimeo link, and within 5 minutes long.
※ Submitted documents will not be returned.
6. How to Apply
ㅇ Application period: April 8 (Wed.) 10:00 – April 16 (Thur.) 18:00, 2020
ㅇ Submission Method: Email submission (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Deadline: applications arrived by April 16 (Thur.) 18:00, 2020 (Korean Standard time)
ㅇ An applicant will be disqualified if:
- Those who have been supported with the same project by other institutions
- Those who are scheduled to be part of other programs in the form of residency by other institutions during the
ㅇ Cancellation of selection may result from any omission or false information in any part of the submitted documents.
ㅇ All intellectual property rights and copyrights for creative works belong to the creator, and ACC/ACI has usage
rights. Other general issues of the rights regarding creative works shall comply with a separate agreement. ㅇ The participant is fully liable for any intellectual property produced in dispute with third parties.
※ Selection will be revoked if the selected applicant is found to have used another person’s idea without permission
or infringed another person’s intellectual property rights.
ㅇ Participants must follow the general regulations and confirm this by signing a separate agreement.
ㅇ Department in charge: International Exchange Team at ACI
ㅇ Email: email@example.com
※ If you have any questions, please inquire via email only. It may take two to three days for you to receive the